Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Remembering Africa...


A year ago today I was in Uganda. I had been there for just two days and was still soaking in all that I was newly surrounded by. In fact, on the 19th I was in Kampala running errands like getting money changed and searching for a shampoo in a supermarket that seemed to only have conditioner.

I thought that by this time this year life would be very different. Mitchell and I planned on having a baby belly by now but because of health issues things haven't worked that way. I have been in the midst of tons of testing and soul searching. My hope and focus has been on my future family and the joy that will one day fill our home.

I have decided that during this time of waiting that I should reflect on the past year and everything that I learned and observed while in Uganda. I will be posting pieces of my journal from that time.

Monday January 18, 2010
We arrived in Africa last night. As I laid underneath the mosquito net I listened. I heard music playing. I heard dogs barking, one pathetic cat meowing and a myriad of bird/bug noises. I could hear cars going down the red dirt road and a baby crying from across the way.
It smells different here too. It smells sweeter. Maybe the smell is hope, a pleasing scent to encourage you to dream.
There are fresh red roses on the bedside. They are beautiful.
God prepare me for the work you want me to do.


2 comments:

  1. I love you too! I don't remember that post, so thanks for sharing. It's so poetic. And - hopeful.

    ReplyDelete