Thursday, February 18, 2010

One Month

We have now been in Uganda for one month. Somethings are like I expected other things are harder others easier. I would like to share with you some of the things that I have learned.

1. Do not run during the rainy season, in Crocs, on slippery cement steps, holding a cat. Reason: just ask the rainbow colored bruise/abrasion/knot on my knee.

2. Anti-malaria meds make for really bad dreams.

3. A lie that the Devil tries to tell us is that places are different. I remember thinking as a kid that as we drove to Missouri to see my great grandmother that things were going to be so strange in Missouri. I was certain that the grass was going to be different colors, or the sky, or the people would look different or something. The truth, however, was that Missouri wasn't much different from Texas. As we were preparing for Africa a similar feeling was within me, that Africa was going to feel different. But here there are birds, there are trees, there are people, just like in America. They all are created by God and they all are loved by God. That is the truth that people the world over are all the same. God loves his African children as much as his American children as much as his Russian children as much as his Chinese children.

4. I have also learned how to roll out chapatis!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about your horrible bruise Babe! (And I hope the cat is ok too.)

    I'm glad to hear you're settling in (atleast mentally) to Uganda. I know exactly how you feel about places - i LOVE Mexico, but one day looking at pictures of Indonesia and Laos it just hit me that they are God's precious children too, even if I don't know a scrap of the language or culture - I could grow to LOVE them like I do Mexico in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete